From breaking news and feature stories to policy analysis and open government advocacy, my reporting and writing spans a variety of topics. Explore more below:
• San Francisco Business Times, 2017 – Present
I report on Bay Area technology companies, giving readers insights into business strategies, executive suite changes and venture capital trends. My writing is shared across the American City Business Journals network for more than 3 million readers.
• CQ Roll Call, 2015 – 2016
I covered technology, telecommunications, science and space policy in Congress and across federal agencies. My work appeared on CQ.com and in CQ Magazine – available only to subscribers – as well as in Roll Call. My beat included reporting on everything from encryption and data privacy policies to patents and copyright. I also covered the budgets and spending bills for the Commerce Department and agencies working on science and space issues.
• The Associated Press, 2015
I spent five months on contract as a reporter for The Associated Press in Lansing, Mich., covering state government and politics. My work centered around covering the budget process in the statehouse. I wrote about a variety of other issues of state and national interest, too, including the state-level stories for national investigations into veterans’ health care and commuter traffic. My reporting could be heard on TV and radio or read in newspapers and on websites of news organizations around the country.
• Sunlight Foundation, 2012-2015
I started at Sunlight as a policy fellow in the fall of 2012 because I believe government transparency is a vital issue for all journalists to understand and be engaged in supporting. I monitored and wrote about federal-level transparency issues. When a new local policy program launched in 2013, I joined the effort to examine government openness at the state and municipal level. I researched and wrote about how opening up information empowers watchdog activity and helps create accountability. I spoke at conferences and government meetings on the importance of transparency. You can read my research and analysis for Sunlight here. My writing has also been featured or cited in a number of places, including:
- Washington Monthly, “A New Agenda for Political Reform” — March 2015 issue
- GovLab, “Opportunities for strengthening open meetings with open data” — Aug. 5, 2014
- Opening Parliament, “Open meetings need open data” — July 28, 2014
- Ars Technica, “Public officials’ personal texts and e-mails subject of open records flap” — June 28, 2014
- Philly.com, “Improvements seen in Phila. lobbying Web site” — June 12, 2014
- Data-Smart City Solutions, “Guiding strong open data policies” — May 7, 2014 (reprinted in Public CEO)
- Crain’s New York Business, “Big data can be a big help to city” — April 13, 2014
• MIRS News, 2011-2012
As a capitol correspondent at MIRS News, I covered topics such as campaign finance and congressional primary races and tracked legislation through drafting and committee and House floor votes. MIRS is a subscription news service, though there are free trials available. Below are examples of some of the many stories I wrote while in the Michigan capitol press corps:
- Will Michigan Follow Indiana On ‘Right To Work’ Law? — Jan. 5, 2012
- Hoekstra Ad Panned From Across Political Spectrum — Feb. 6, 2012
- Black Caucus Redistricting Suit Dismissed — March 23, 2012
- Brown, Byrum Banned From Speaking Over Abortion Comments — June 14, 2012
- Medicaid Expansion At Center Stage Of Extended ACA Debate — July 11, 2012
- Retroactive? State Units Debate Juvenile Lifers Decision — July 17, 2012
• Lansing State Journal, 2010-2011
I wrote more than 40 articles for print and online publication in my three months as a news desk intern at the Lansing State Journal. After earning my shoe-leather reporting cred during the internship, I was hired as a digital media producer. I did everything from helping manage content on LSJ.com to producing videos and assisting with managing social media. I also continued to cover a range of local news and write feature packages. Some of those stories even made it to the Sunday 1A spot – all before I graduated from college. Look through Scribd to see a few examples.
• Other work
My news coverage and feature writing have also appeared in Greater Lansing Woman, The Grand Ledge Independent, Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, and USAToday.com, among other outlets.